Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm Neither a Rock, Nor an Island

Music has been the anthem of my heart all of my life.  Over the years I've shouted out lyrics of songs from every genre, as if they were my very own words. 

From belting out how all my rowdy friends have settled down...to how I'd give you everything I've got for a little peace of mind...to wondering if I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me...to confessing that at night I'm a junk food junkie...  And oh so many more.

So that's the reason for my blog title.  It's adapted from a Billy Joel song.  This isn't a blog about music.  It just occurred to me in one of my more introspective moments that there is much more music in my life left to write.  Nonetheless, don't be surprised when lyrics of all types find their way into my posts. I love music!

I digress.  We're supposed to be talking about rocks and islands.

My early years were full of rebellion, but also desperately full of isolation and despair.  How sad is, "I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.  It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.  I am a rock, I am an island."  Belted out those words of Simon and Garfunkel at the top of my lungs.  Meant. Every. Word.  How about you?  Have any anthems full of isolation and despair in your past?  Or maybe you're living there now?

One thing's for sure.  Over the years, the music that soothes my soul has changed.  The cry of my heart is daily being honed into something different, something more beautiful, something more like Jesus, as every day passes. I want my lifesong to sing for Him.

As the band has played on, I've realized I'm neither a rock, nor an island.  Life is meant to be shared; hearts are meant to be risked.  People are worth laying it all out there on the line for.  We need each other.  I'm in. You?

No comments:

Post a Comment